Hershey kisses are a popular brand of chocolate and almost everyone’s favourite during the Holiday season. They can be found in different colours and flavours but, the most interesting thing about this type of chocolate is that it can be melted and drizzled on top of desserts. If you would love to learn how to melt Hershey kisses at home, simply check out the article below.
What are Hershey kisses?
Hershey kisses are a brand of chocolate that is produced by the Hershey Company which was founded in America. Hershey kisses where first introduced on the market in 1907 and ever since they have gained a lot of popularity over the years. Hershey kisses can be found in different flavours for example cherry cordial, mint, milk chocolate, cookies n cream, vanilla crème and caramel just to mention a few flavours.
How to melt Hershey kisses using a double boiler
NB: this is the best method for melting Hershey kisses and if you do not have a double boiler you can always improvise by using a sauce pan and a glass bowl.
When melting Hershey kisses using a double boiler, the first thing is unwrap the Hershey kisses and chop them into smaller pieces. This will help them to melt faster.
Once you have cut the Hershey kisses into small pieces, transfer them into the glass bowl or the top pot of the double boiler.
Take the saucepan or the bottom pot of the double boiler and add water. Your water should not touch the bottom part of the glass bowl. In order to ensure that you have placed the right amount of water you can just double check the water levels by placing the glass bowl on top of the sauce pan then removing it.
Place the pot with the water on a stove that is switched on between medium and low heat. When the water starts to boil, turn down the heat and place the glass bowl on top. Gently stir the Hershey kisses using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. The steam from the water, is the one that helps to melt down the Hershey kisses.
When the Hershey kisses have melted down and only a few lumps are remaining, remove it from the double boiler and place it on a countertop. Stir the melted chocolate vigorously using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until you achieve a smooth consistency.
Once you have melted the Hershey kisses, use them immediately. This is because if they are exposed to room temperature for a long time, they will eventually start to harden, thus making it difficult to work with.
How to melt Hershey kisses in the microwave
NB: this is the easiest and fastest method for melting Hershey kisses. However, if you do not adjust the temperature of your microwave your Hershey kisses may burn.
When melting Hershey kisses in the microwave start by unwrapping them and cutting them into smaller pieces. This helps them to melt even faster.
Once you have cut the Hershey kisses, take an oven safe bowl and add the small pieces of Hershey kisses inside. Place the bowl on the centre plate of the microwave and then close the microwave door. Set the microwave power to 50% this is because if you use the normal power level of the microwave, your Hershey kisses will burn. In order to change the microwave setting simply check the front part of your microwave, there should be an option. Alternatively you can always consult your microwave manual. Microwave the Hershey kisses for 15 second increments and stir after every session using a wooden spoon until the chocolate has completely melted.
When the Hershey kisses have melted, take them out and use them immediately. This is because if you keep them at room temperature they will start to harden such that you won’t be able to use them.
Tips for melting Hershey kisses
- When melting Hershey kisses in a double boiler make sure that no water comes into contact with the chocolate. This is because if chocolate is exposed to water it will start to seize and become unusable.
- When melting Hershey kisses in a double boiler make sure that the water is not too hot as this may cause the chocolate to burn and then split.
- Do not overheat Hershey kisses this is because they will lose their chocolate texture and consistency.
- The milk chocolate Hershey kisses are the best for melting especially when you are looking for a topping for your desserts.
- If you are planning on using a lot of melted Hershey kisses, it is advisable to melt the Hershey kisses in batches. This is because if you melt it all at once, it will take a longer period of time to melt.
- Never melt Hershey kisses while they still have their foil wrapping. This is because the small pieces of foil can light up in the microwave and this could lead to a fire.
- Always wear oven mitts or use a dish towel when taking out the bowl from the microwave. This is because it will be hot and you wouldn’t want to hurt yourself.
- Use melted Hershey kisses while warm. This is because if you let it cool down, it will harden and become very hard to work with.
How to use melted Hershey kisses
There are a number of ways in which melted Hershey kisses can be used. Firstly, they can be used as a substitute for chocolate chips when making things like brownies. Furthermore, you can use melted Hershey kisses as a dip for your favourite foods. You can also drizzle melted Hershey kisses on top of your ice cream or other desserts. The Hershey kisses do an excellent job in adding flavour.
Hershey kisses are very easy to melt especially if you follow this step by step guide. Always remember to choose a method that is more convenient for you and remember to use the melted chocolate before it hardens.