The first thing you must do is to take out your chocolate spread from the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight. While you may consider speeding up the process, adding heat to melt the frozen Nutella can make the ingredients separate and leave you with a gooey, oily mess. It is best to plan ahead so that you can let the chocolate spread thaw slowly and use any other method to warm and melt it.
The Hot Knife Method
One of the easiest ways to melt Nutella is through the hot knife method. You simply take out your butter knife and a cup of hot water or even coffee and a paper towel. The method is simple and straightforward. Just dip your butter knife in a cup of hot water or your cup of hot coffee. Let the knife sit in there for at least a minute, so that it becomes hot enough to melt your Nutella. Then wipe your butter knife with as paper towel right after removing it from the hot water and use it to spread your chocolate spread. Your hot butter knife will be able to cut through the chocolate spread. The heat will allow the butter knife to shave through the chocolate spread in a matter of seconds.
The Microwave Method
It is no surprise that the microwave method is another effective ways to melt your Nutella since it is used to warm up and melt a lot of other food items and meals. For this method you will need your hardened Nutella and a microwave safe dish. Simply follow these steps;
- To heat up your Nutella simply scoop the amount of Nutella you want to use and place it in a microwave safe dish because the Nutella container itself might not be microwave safe.
- Set your microwave on low to medium heat and let the chocolate spread warm up for 5 to 10 minutes.
- If your chocolate spread has not melted as desired put the bowl back in the microwave and repeat the heating process.
- Make sure that you do not leave the chocolate spread in the microwave for too long
- Take out your Nutella and stir with an non metallic spatula every time you take it out
- When ready use as desired
Hot Bath Method
Also on our list of various methods to melt Nutella is the hot bath method. This method is quick and effective. It can also be considered as a lazy way or hands off way of melting your chocolate spread.
You Will Need
- A slow cooker
- Your Nutella
Follow These Steps
- Fill your slow cooker with some hot water
- Set your heat on low and leave the lid off
- Put your Nutella jar inside the cooker and make sure that it is sealed properly to prevent water from flowing in.
- Leave your cooker with the lid off for about 5 to 10 minutes for your chocolate spread to melt
- When it is ready simply take out the Nutella jar and use your chocolate spread as desired.
Another simple way to melt your Nutella is with a bowl of hot water and not a cooker. Just bring a small pot of water to a boil and pour the hot water into a small bowl. Place the jar of Nutella in the bowl and leave it for a few minutes. This will warm up the Nutella and make it softer. This hot water bath technique will not take more than five minutes. You can also stir the Nutella with a spoon or spatula to speed up the process.
The Stovetop Method
The stovetop method is another effective way to warm up your Nutella. To do this simply place the amount of chocolate spread you want to use inside a small saucepan and stir it consistently while cooking over low heat. It is very important to stir the chocolate spread during this process otherwise it will scorch and stick to the bottom of your pan. If you have a double boiler, you can fill the bottom pan with water and warm the chocolate spread in the top pan to reduce the chances of scorching. This method is rather tedious but effective.
Over The Counter Method
Also an effective but slow method to melt Nutella is leaving it over the counter. You can warm up or melt your chocolate spread this way but you will need to plan ahead. Your Nutella can be left on a warm countertop to warm up after refrigeration. After a few hours, your chocolate spread will be ready to use.
Adding milk is also effective and quick when melting Nutella. This is one of the few methods that does not need heat. Adding milk into your chocolate spread will liquefy the Nutella and thus make it easier to spread. Simply put a few tablespoons of Nutella in a small bowl and add milk to it. There’s no rule as to how much milk you can add. You can add as much milk as you need to the chocolate spread.
The Sandwich Bag Method
Also another effective way to melt your chocolate spread is through a sandwich bag. This method is effective especially if you want to drizzle your chocolate spread.
What You Need
- A plastic
- Your Nutella
Follow These Steps
- Scoop the amount of Nutella you want to use and put it inside a reusable plastic bag
- Seal the bag completely
- You can place the plastic bag inside another reusable bag to ensure that water does not sip in
- When your chocolate spread has melted, make use of a scissors to cut a small corner of the bag when you want to drizzle your chocolate spread.
Different Ways To Have Nutella
There are a number of ways you can add your chocolate spread to your meals and recipes and some of them are listed below;
- You can mix it with pudding
- Add it to banana bread
- Add it to your cereal
- Add it in pancakes
- Add it to hot chocolate
- Add it to your croissant