Pretzels are loved by many people, with their crisp crusts and soft, fluffy insides. When it comes to reheating them and maintaining their same soft and crispy texture it can be tricky. However, the trick to reheating soft pretzels is to introduce some moisture back into the pretzel while keeping it from becoming too soggy. Below are some of the effective methods of reheating pretzels.
The Microwave Method To Reheat Soft Pretzels
Using the microwave to reheat a soft pretzel is one quick option. It is possible to get your pretzel back to its fresh state in no time at all using a microwave. Follow these steps to reheat in the microwave.
- Wet a paper towel until it is just damp enough,
- Put the soft pretzel in a microwave-safe dish and lay the damp paper towel over the pretzel,
- Put the plate into the microwave and set it on high for about 30 seconds,
- Be sure to check your pretzel every 15 seconds or so. If it is not warm enough, place it back in the microwave and repeat the process.
- Take out the pretzel from the microwave and allow it to cool until it is ready to eat.
Advantages Of Using A Microwave To Reheat a Pretzel
One of the biggest advantages of using a microwave to reheat a pretzel is that it gets the job done in a short period of time. 30 seconds is all you require to have a reheated, soft pretzel ready to eat. A damp paper towel allows you to keep the pretzel moist during reheating so that it does not dry out or harden. That way you can be left with a soft and moist pretzel that tastes fresh.
Cons Of Using A Microwave
One disadvantage of using a microwave to reheat soft pretzels is that if you don’t use the paper towel the pretzel will harden and dry out. There is a risk of wetting the paper towel too much, causing the pretzel to end up wet and soggy. The pretzel can end up hard and chewy if you leave it in the microwave for too long also, even if it is covered with a damp paper towel. However, a microwave is the fastest way to warm up your soft pretzel. Ensure that you follow the above steps to help keep it moist and fresh when it is reheating in the microwave.
The Oven Method To Reheat Soft Pretzels
Another effective way to reheat a soft pretzel is in the oven. The oven method also gets the best results when it comes to reheating pretzels, but it takes a bit of time. Using the oven allows you to reheat your soft pretzel evenly while keeping it soft and moist on the inside and crispy on the outside.
Follow these steps to warm up your soft pretzel in the oven,
- Preheat the oven to about 325 degrees,
- Drizzle a small amount of water over your soft pretzel so that the outside of the pretzel becomes moist, and not soggy.
- Wrap up your pretzel in aluminium foil, and place it into the oven,
- Leave your pretzel for about 5 minutes,
- If you want your pretzel to be crispy do not wrap it in aluminium foil, and place it directly onto the middle oven rack.
- After five minutes or so check if your soft pretzel is warm enough, and remove it from the oven if it is done.
- If your pretzel needs to heat more, place it back in the oven for another minute or two before checking it again,
- Remove your pretzel from the oven, and take off the aluminium foil and let it cool slightly before serving.
Advantages Of Using An Oven
The oven will give you a thorough reheating of your pretzel plus it is one of the best ways to avoid your pretzel from drying out and hardening. By sprinkling some water onto the pretzel, and wrapping it in aluminium foil, you will prevent it from drying out and instead keep it soft and moist. You can also get a crispy finish to your pretzel by not wrapping it in aluminium foil, and instead place it directly into the oven on one of the racks.
Disadvantages Of Using An Oven
The disadvantage of using an oven is that it takes much longer than using a microwave to warm up your soft pretzel. You also need to wait for the oven to warm up to the right temperature and leave your pretzel in the oven for sometime. You also need to ensure that your oven is at the right temperature, so that your pretzel does not burn or harden too much.
Best Ways To Keep Your Soft Pretzel
- If you are not able to finish pretzels before they go stale, you can easily store them in the freezer.
- Simply wrap up your pretzel in aluminium foil or plastic wrap and place them into a freezer bag.
- Store your pretzels in the freezer until you are ready to warm them up.
- The advantage of having frozen pretzels is that you do not need to thaw them first. You can just reheat them frozen.
- The best method when it comes to reheating your pretzels when frozen is to use the oven.
- If your pretzels are already thawed, you can use the microwave to reheat your pretzels.
- When it comes to storing pretzels at room temperature, do so in a way that prevents them from going hard simply wrap up the pretzels in a dishcloth and place them into a plastic container.
- You can also place the pretzels directly into a paper bag and store the pretzels in a cool place.
Tips For Reheating Soft Pretzels
- By reheating soft pretzels in the microwave or the oven you will have a great tasting pretzel again in next to no time at all.
- The key to a soft pretzel is keeping in it’s moisture, so follow the above methods of reheating your pretzels to ensure that they are as soft and moist as the moment they were first baked.